M-37 to Old Mission Rd., Old Mission, MI, 49673
The oldest permanent town in the Grand Traverse area began in 1839, when the Rev. Peter Dougherty established a mission to the local Odawa Indians near the tip of what is now known as the Old Mission Peninsula. Many of its nineteenth-century buildings are still standing, including a church and general store that are still in use. A replica of Dougherty's original log schoolhouse contains a small museum explaining the community's history.