Tour Support & Services

Traverse City Tourism offers special services to assist you in planning and conducting your tour through this beautiful and unique region.

Contact Traverse City Tourism for:

  • Site tours for operators and group leaders
  • Customized itinerary development
  • Assistance in securing accommodations
  • Step on tour guide referrals
  • Promotional materials

Contact: Sarah Barnard, Director of Conference Services, at 231-995-3910 or email

Motorcoach regulations:

Insurance requirements

A motorcoach, owned and operated by a non-resident of Michigan, must carry a certificate of insurance for bodily injury and property damage liability, as required by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration, to serve Michigan in interstate or foreign commerce operations. No authority filing is required. No intrastate operations of any type are permitted without a Certificate of Authority from the Michigan Department of Transportation. No other insurance, fuel tax permit or filings are required.

Miscellaneous information

Maximum motorcoach width - 102"; maximum height - 13'6"; maximum length - 45'. Maximum gross weight depends on tire size and axle spacing. Maximum speed ranges from 55 mph to 70 mph depending on weather, road conditions, traffic conditions and posted speed. Non-resident vehicles operated in Michigan must be properly equipped mechanically and carry plates required by home states.

For further information write or call:

Michigan Department of Transportation Motor Bus Regulatory Unit
Passenger Transportation Division
Multi-Modal Transportation Services Bureau
P.O. Box 30050
Lansing, MI 48909
(517) 241-0679 or (517) 241-0680

Guide & Charter Services:


Blue Lakes Charter & Tours
2528-A Preston Drive
Traverse City, MI 49684
(800) 282-4287
Services offered: Transportation

Traverse City Tourism
101 W. Grandview Parkway
Traverse City, MI 49684
(800) 940-1120
Services offered: Step-on guide referral

Dumping Stations:


Northern Michigan Diesel 
2528 Preston Drive 
Traverse City, MI 49684 
(231) 935-1774 

(Bay Area Transportation Authority) 

3233 Cass Road 
Traverse City, MI 49684 
(231) 941-2355 

Holiday Park 
4860 US 31 South 
Traverse City, MI 49685 
(231) 943-4410

Fuel Stations: (Overhang at the following stations is 10'9')

Acme Shell Mini-Mart 
5927 US 31 - North 
Acme, MI 49610 
(231) 938-1922 

Chum's Corners Shell Mini-Mart 
948 US 31 South 
Traverse City, MI 49685
(231) 943-3666 

Elk Rapids Shell Mini-Mart 
111 Ames Street 
Elk Rapids, MI 49629 
(231) 264-5990 

South Airport Shell Mini-Mart 
1458 S Airport Road West 
Traverse City, MI 49684 
(231) 941-0639 

Townhall Shell Mini-Mart 
2408 US 31 South 
Traverse City, MI 49684 
(231) 947-2456 

Shell Mini-Marts provide groceries and snacks, Shell gasoline, petroleum products and diesel. Stations are handicap accessible and offer motorcoach parking.

Repair Services:

Northern Michigan Diesel 
2528 Preston Drive 
Traverse City, MI 49684 
(231) 935-1774

Emergency Services:

Use 911 for all emergencies, medical and public safety, in Antrim, Leelanau and Grand Traverse Counties.   

Medical Services: Life-Threatening Emergencies 
Munson Medical Center 
Emergency Department 
1105 Sixth Street 
Two blocks west of Division Street (M 37 / US 31) 
Traverse City, MI 49684
(231) 935-6333 

Medical Services: Non-Life-Threatening Emergencies 
Munson Urgent Care
550 Munson Avenue 
(between Airport Access Road and 8th Street) 
Traverse City, MI 49686 
(231) 935-8686

Miscellaneous Information:


6% state sales tax


5% on hotel/motel rooms

Currency Exchange 

Currency exchange is not readily available in the area. Visitors are advised to do so upon their arrival at point-of-entry or metropolitan areas.

Liquor Sales

Monday-Saturday 7 a.m. - 2 a.m. Minimum drinking age is 21.


The legal age in Michigan is 18. Smoking prohibited in all state offices, as well as all public establishments (with the exception of casinos) including hotels, restaurants, bars and public beaches.

Driving Regulations

All residents, non-residents and international visitors must possess valid operator's licence as well as auto registration certificates and proof of insurance for vehicles driven. Driving under the influence of, or while impaired by alcohol or drugs is illegal. A blood alcohol content of .08 constitutes impairment. Where not otherwise prohibited, Michigan allows right turns on red lights after a full stop and left turns onto one-way streets when there is no oncoming traffic.

Stay in Traverse City

Plan Your Trip