Dynamic Variation:

General Information About Traverse City

Here is some helpful information that we hope will be useful in planning your trip to Traverse City ... and while you are here!


Thanks to Traverse City's northern position on the 45th parallel and its location on the western edge of the Eastern time zone, it enjoys daylight well into the evening hours throughout the spring and summer! Michigan is on Eastern Standard Time EST), sharing that time zone with cities and states on the east coast of the United States. With the rest of Michigan, Traverse City moves to Eastern Daylight Time from April through October each year, jumping ahead one hour ("spring forward") the second Sunday in March, and moving back one hour ("fall back") on the first Sunday in November.

Sales Taxes

Michigan's sales tax rate is 6 percent. Food and prescription drugs are exempt. A 5-percent lodging assessment is levied on overnight room rentals in the region.

Operator, Directory Assistance

Operator assisted calls can be made by dialing 0 + area code + seven-digit phone number. Directory assistance is available by calling 0 + area code + 555-1212. Toll-free numbers use the prefixes 800, 888, 877 or 222.

Public Safety

Emergency assistance is available by calling 911. Maritime assistance is available by calling the United States Coast Guard Station in Traverse City at (231) 922-8222. For a complete list of emergency numbers, visit our Public Safety page.


There are several beaches, outdoor recreation areas, art centers, and more that are accessible in Traverse City. Mobi-mats create a pathway to the area's popular beaches, many of the local trails are paved for easy accessibility, and there are ample opportunities to participate in art programs. For more detailed information please visit our Accessibility page

Liquor Laws

The legal drinking age in Michigan is 21. Taverns must cease serving alcohol at 2 a.m. and must close by 2:30 a.m.


The legal smoking age in Michigan is 21. All state offices and many public and private businesses -- including most restaurants -- prohibit smoking.

Travel to Canada

For United States and Canadian Citizens, either a passport, passport card, Nexus card (frequent visitors from U.S. to Canada) or an enhanced driver's license is required to cross the border. Travelers crossing back into Canada after 24 hours away can bring back $200 worth of duty-free goods -- up from just $50. And if you stay longer than 48 hours, you can enjoy an $800 duty-free allowance on goods. Travelers may take their dogs and cats to Canada if they have a certificate issued by a licensed Canadian or U.S. veterinarian showing that the animal has been vaccinated against rabies during the previous 36 months. Puppies and kittens under 3 months of age, and seeing-eye dogs, may be taken to Canada without certification or other restrictions.

Stay in Traverse City

Plan Your Trip