Traverse City's handsome second-story City Opera House has been a source of community pride since its construction in 1891. The first building in Traverse City to install electric lights, the Opera House hosted plays, lectures, meetings, balls, concerts and vaudeville acts before closing in 1920. It has been restored to its former splendor and is now used for a variety of community meetings, dances and other events. The Opera House plans a full schedule of performance events each year. Tickets for many events are available online at the Opera House Web site.