Gift-buying plays a big part in holiday preparations, and in the Traverse City area our charming downtown districts, unique shops, craft beverage providers and many other local businesses are always putting a clever spin on the season. While your shopping might not look like it has in years past, here are five ways to support local—and give great gifts!—with some northern Michigan flair.
1. Taste the Local Difference
Just in time for the holiday season, Taste the Local Difference is proud to release their annual holiday gift guide. This year, you can find delicious, useful, and of course, LOCAL, items that make for great gifts. Organized by shopping categories, it’s easy to find the perfect gift for the people on your list with a sweet tooth or those that like to relax with a glass of wine. Local-oriented shoppers can peruse over two dozen featured businesses, such as organic tea blends from Light of Day organic tea farm, and delightful gift baskets from the Farm Club.
2. Get a Gift Card
Play it safe and get a gift card -- you don't need to leave the house to purchase one, it's always the right color and never the wrong size and there are so many places you can get them around NoMi! Here are a few suggestions:
For anyone planning a future getaway:
- Make it easy and give the gift of a resort! Ideas include: Grand Traverse Resort and Spa and Crystal Mountain.
- Include a little history with a vacation. Ideas include: Hotel Frankfort, Antiquities' Wellington Inn or Harbor Lights Resort.
- When you just aren't sure...a Traverse City Tourism gift certicate just might solve your gift giving dilema! They are valid at any of these lodging properties around NoMi.
3. Give the Gift of NoMi Wine, Beer or Spirits
Wine, beer or spirits? Take your pick and share the flavors from around our regions. Holiday promotions and gift giving ideas are available at local wineries, breweries and distilleries. Here are a few we've seen lately:
- Holiday gift guide wines from Chateau Chantal.
- Save over 25% off with a holiday bundle at 45 North Vineyard & Winery.
4. Plan a Future Spa Day
We’re all going to need a spa day soon! Good thing the teams at Spa Grand Traverse and Crystal Spa have you covered with their online stores. Try an Eminence Organics product from Spa Grand Traverse (each purchase plants a tree!) or snag the Stress Relief Kit from Crystal Spa, packed with products to create pure bliss.
5. Give the gift that keeps on giving and support a NoMi nonprofit
This year, we’re encouraging folks to take that mission one step further and support the nonprofits who give us incredible experiences in northern Michigan. From arts and culture to the great outdoors, so many of our best memories are created by dedicated teams and organizations that rely on donations to keep their programs going. If you’re thinking of giving a unique gift to a loved on this holiday season, take a look at some of these wonderful options and consider making a donation in the name of a friend or family member.