Attractions in Antrim County
Marked by steep hills and long, twisting valleys, the glacier-carved Michigan highlands north and east of Traverse City possess a rugged beauty all their own. Looping back and forth through this landscape is the75-mile Chain of Lakes, several considered among the most beautiful in the world.) Many of the finest golf courses in the area are located in the Chain of Lakes region, and the area lends itself well to downhill skiing. The villages of Elk Rapids and Bellaire are classic “Mayberry-style” l towns whose year-round recreational offerings rival those of Traverse City. The nearby Grass River Natural Area features 1,165 acres for hiking, birdwatching, cross-country skiing, snowshoeing, and guided nature tours and classes.
1. The dramatic scenery of the Chain of Lakes is perfect for golf, like this tee at Hawk’s Eye.
2. Downhill skiing and snowboarding are big winter draws in the Chain of Lakes, which is home to Shanty Creek Resorts.
3. The pristine Grass River Natural Area is home to hundreds of species of wetland plants, birds and animals.
4. Picturesque Bellaire is a classic small town with a surprisingly sophisticated dining scene.
5. The view of Torch Lake from the tiny marina in Alden is breathtaking.
6. Shopping for unique items in Elk Rapids’ charming downtown.